Join your friends on Sesame Street for this FREE online course about making math moments happen in the early childhood setting! This five-unit interactive course is designed for all early childhood educators–whether you are working in a classroom, center-based program, or family child-care setting.
The course explores:
- The importance of math and pretend play in children’s development
- Key math objectives for 0- to 5-year olds
- Planning for math moments in your setting
- Integrating math moments into children’s pretend play
Throughout this learning experience, participants will be able to reflect upon their practice, share their thoughts on group discussion boards, and take away new ideas that can be applied the very next day.
The course also offers eight (8) new resource PDFs to support course ideas, which include:
- Math Talk (Math Language Glossary)
- Children’s Math Development
- Math Activity Ideas
- Measuring With Tubes (family activity)
- Development of Play: Age by Age
- A Math and Pretend Play Planning Chart
- Baby and Toddler Math and Cognitive Skills Development Chart
- Math is Everywhere for Babies and Toddlers: Cognitive Skills in School and at Home
Each unit also includes ideas for connecting to home and more Sesame Street resources to help.
The math objectives featured in this course align with the standards set forth by the National Research Council’s 2009, Mathematics Learning in Early Childhood: Paths Toward Excellence and Equity, and our content was reviewed by master teacher advisors. The content also aligns with the standards put forth by the National Head Start Association.
- The five units of this course each take about 45 minutes to complete. The estimated time to complete four units is four to five (4-5) hours in total.
- Upon finishing the entire course, participants will receive a certificate with the name they used to register for the course.